Staying With Us
SOUTH BRISBANE, QLD
STAYING WITH US
Ronald McDonald House Herston is here to help those who need a home away from home while going through difficult situations.
CRITERIA TO STAY
To be eligible to stay at Ronald McDonald House Herston you must live 50kms or more from the treating hospital in Brisbane. Families staying with us must:
- Have a child who is transferring to Brisbane from a regional area to receive treatment or;
- Have an expectant mum who has been identified as having a complicated pregnancy and needs to reside in Brisbane until her baby or babies are born.
There is no means test required to stay in the house and most stays will be subsidised by your local hospital through the appropriate patient travel department. Accommodation is provided for the patient and immediate family. We do understand that it is nice to have all your family around but due to limited rooms and bedding please only bring those who need to be here. Expectant mums must be accompanied by an escort during their stay, due to the fact that we are not a medical facility. To minimise risk to children with weak immune systems, anyone who is suffering from or who has recently been exposed to a communicable disease cannot be admitted (including family members with colds or the flu).
ACCOMMODATION AND COST ASSISTANCE
- QLD guests can apply for Patient Travel Subsidy Scheme (PTSS) through your home hospital.
- NSW guests can apply for Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS) through your home hospital. Please contact them directly to discuss the specific eligibility criteria.
- If you are not covered then charges may apply.
GUEST SERVICES TEAM
Moving away from home to care for a newborn or sick child can be difficult and stressful. That is why we have a Guest Services Team to help make your stay a little easier. We can help by assisting you with any concerns, questions or worries you might have during your stay in the house and when planning your return home. To make an appointment with our Guest Services Team, please talk with one of our representatives at Reception.
- The house only has residential facilities as we are not a medical treatment facility, nor do we have medical personnel on staff.
- Babysitting or child minding is not provided. Children must be supervised at all times. Just like a real house, all family guests are responsible for doing their own cooking, cleaning and laundry.
- We have a zero tolerance policy towards alcohol, illegal drugs, and any form of disruptive behaviour or violence.
- Smoking is not permitted within accommodation rooms, on room balconies or within any other location in the House.